Friday, March 23, 2012

Take Some Time to Smell the Flowers


The weather projections for today were mid 70s and sunny.  In actuality, the weather turned out to be closer to mid 60s, cloudy, cool and misty.  Total opposite.  In preparation for what the weatherman originally predicted, I decided to wear this floral skirt I picked up from H&M this past weekend (only $18 by the way). Everyone is going bonkers for floral print these days and I’m always in love with a great pattern and bright contrasting colors so this skirt fit the bill. Anywho, back to taking time to smell the flowers… on a very small scale of things I could’ve been easily frustrated with the inaccurate weather predictions or allowed for the gloomy day to put me in an equally gloomy mood, and of course that would’ve been so ridiculous b/c that’s such a trivial issue.  But people do it all the time with even more substantive things.  They often allow for frustrating and unpredictable circumstances to negatively color their mood and their feelings...
 
Life can be complicated and no one said it would be a perpetual cakewalk, but there are also so many opportunities and situations where you can be much more appreciative, much more reflective and much more grateful b/c on the other side, things can always be way worse.  There is something or someone out there experiencing things beyond your comprehension and no matter what is happening to you, you have the opportunity and choice to stop and smell the flowers.  Flowers don’t stop blooming just bc of what is going on in your life.  They even say a rose can grow out of a crack in a sidewalk.  Of course, I’m speaking mostly metaphorically when I’m talking about 'smelling flowers'… I’m really just saying that there’s always a brighter side; there’s always a miracle before you and there’s always beauty around you, no matter what you are going through.  Take the time to tap into that, particularly when things are less than desirable.  Some days may be more irritating, more complicated and more challenging than others.  Some days seemingly don’t work from start to finish but try to keep things in perspective and remember that you have the option to smell the roses, pick the flowers, and play in the garden no matter what else is going on.  

Lately, I’ve been constantly thinking about Trayvon Martin and his family since hearing about his murder and how senseless and meaningless it was; how devastating it must be to lose a child and for no reason at all... and then to be mistreated by the same system that you rely on for justice and protection is unbearable.  I think of that and there is nothing, not one single thing, going on in my life that could be worse than what I imagine that child experienced in the last moments of his life and what his parents and family are enduring now.  It breaks my heart everyday and with that tragedy, I’m reminded (particularly as a mother to a young black boy that’s no different than Trayvon and as an attorney who knows that the case is not being handled properly), I have no reason…not one single reason…to complain. I CAN see the flowers blooming. RIP Trayvon Martin
Flower Pencil Skirt: H&M; Cardigan: Old Navy; Belt: Forever21; Black Scalloped Pumps: Prada; Pink Diamond Watch: AquaMaster; Studded Bracelet: BCBGeneration; Beaded Turquoise Necklace: Forever 21; Bag: Juicy Couture; Earrings: Gifted from Mom; Short Trench; H&M
 CLICK BELOW FOR MORE PICS AND DETAILS OF THIS LOOK!!!

This bracelet is beyond fun and to add the rock star bad girls spikes with flowers and cardigans is naughty. 
I paid $8 for this. I have a genuine Turquoise stone necklace that I can't seem to find so this was purchased as a temporary replacement until I recover the real deal...I think it makes a great substitute.  
This skirt and the pairings are screaming Michelle Obama, but I promise you that when I paired the skirt with a different top and shoe, it was very sex kitten out on the town...totally different look, which makes this $18 skirt (that I really wasn't feeling at first) a good investment. 

28 comments:

  1. Very cute look, but on another hand, I am beyond PISSED that you went and got a flowered pencil skirt after I specifically told you NOT to!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhhhh Shan, this skirt means NOTHING to me...it was just a fling! :-)

      Delete
  2. Love the Accessories and Pops of Color---brightens the mood on an overcast day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. FAB! And the look is very Michelle Obama-ish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the color cardi over the skirt...and how you belted it...and the gorgeous necklace! lol...great look :)

    xo,Cortnie
    http://stylelustpages.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Cortnie! Welcome to Milk and Honeeyz! Thanks for the compliments. I'm on my way to check out Stylelust!

      Delete
  5. Love this look and your blog! Haven't stop by in a while and it looks great! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tay!! Glad to see you back! I've been checking in with your blog regularly and I also have it listed on my home page. A lot of my visitors go over and check you out! Be sure you keep checking in with us and tell all your fellow honeeyz! :-)

      Delete
  6. Just found your blog from Fashion Bombshell Daily, must say you have impeccable style! Love this H&M skirt and with the yellow sweater, great look.

    Now following you :)

    Toni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Toni!! Welcome to Milk and Honeeyz and thanks so much for the compliment! I really appreciate it and I'm glad you decided to follow! :-)

      Delete
  7. You look great, I really like this floral skirt!


    Carsedra of:

    http://www.embracingtherealme.com/

    http://sweets4yourtooth.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carsedra! And to think, I almost didn't buy it. :-)

      Delete
  8. Cute look but I can not get past your nail polish color!! I Love it!!!
    http://fashionablyspeakn.blogspot.com/2012/04/blushing-in-nude.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alela!! Welcome to Milk and Honeeyz honeey!!! :-) I love this polish too! I can't remember the exact name but it's an OPI color...Apple Granny or something like that. LOL. I added a gold faded design on two of the fingers and I loved it. I just changed the color on Monday and was so sad to see it go. But stay tuned for the pics of the new nails b/c this color is super cute too. :-)

      Anyways, thanks for the compliments and checking in. I hope you continue to come through and I'm now off to your blog!!!

      Delete
  9. love ur skirt and necklace honey !!!!!!!!!!! happy easter !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks love! And happy Easter to you too! :-)

      Delete
  10. the skirt is to die for- you look fab

    ReplyDelete
  11. Replies
    1. Thank you honeey and welcome! I'm on my way over to check out your blog!! Be sure to keep checking in on us...we love to hear from our honeeyz!! :-)

      Love,

      Lee

      Delete
  12. You look absolutely beautiful Lee! I love your necklace. Thanks so much for your constant support of black fashion bloggers!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...